A Complete Guide to Choosing Wigs for Beginners
Are you buying a wig for the first time? Here’s all you need to know to purchase your first perfect wig!
A wig is more than a great item to add to your wardrobe - it can give you that glamorously beautiful look that adds to your style and sophistication. However, we know choosing a wig for the first time can be overwhelming, but you are not alone.
It’s possible that even your neighbours and colleagues wear wigs and you have no idea! It is difficult to tell as today’s wigs look more natural and beautiful than ever before. In fact, today’s top celebrities wear wigs on the red carpet, in movies and in their everyday lives.
This article provides a guide to help you purchase the perfect wig that suits your needs and style. Even if this is not your first wig, you may learn some new tips that will assist you in choosing your next wig. Let’s dive in!
There are four (4) key factors to consider when buying a wig:
The most important first step in the wig buying process is choosing the correct cap size. The cap size is crucial as you do not want to risk the wig being too big or small for your head. Instead, you want your wig to fit your head perfectly so you can wear it with confidence. Here is a guide that helps you find the correct measurements to find your right fit.
2. Hair Texture
There is a myriad of hair textures to choose from. 50K Lashes & Hair offers a variety of hair textures for wigs and bundles. Here are some lovely textures that we offer:
- Body Wave
- Loose Wave
- Deep Wave
- Beach Wave
- Water Wave
- Natural Wave
- Kinky Curly
- Kinky Straight
- Afro Kinky
- Messy Curl
3. Lace Colour
An essential factor to consider in the wig buying process is the lace colour. It is advisable to pick the correct lace colour that matches the colour of your scalp or skin. It is always better to go with a lighter than darker lace. However, transparent lace is best as it blends easily with any scalp or skin tone.
If the lace wig is too light or dark, here are some tips to make it match your scalp or skin tone better:
- Dyeing the lace
- Make-Up foundation/Concealer
- Bleaching the knots
- Lace tint spray
4. Wig Styles
Now for the fun part! There are many wig styles to choose from depending on your style, personality and personal preference. If you are afraid to step out of your comfort zone, we suggest selecting a wig close to or that matches your natural hair colour with short to medium length. However, if you are ready to take the giant leap into the world of wigs, go with any length and colour that best express your style, personality, and preference. Feel free to get glam - be glamorously you!
The wig styles that we offer include:
With so many different styles, choosing a wig can be daunting, but we encourage you to choose the style that appeals to your taste and will make you look glam.
Synthetic vs Human Hair Wigs
While some consider synthetic wigs an option because it is cheaper than 100% human hair wigs, it is best to choose a wig made with 100% human hair for its quality and durability. 100% human hair wigs can last for years without compromising its quality.
We’ve highlighted a few differences between synthetic and 100% human hair wigs.
Installing Your Wig
Some wigs, such as the Brazilian U-Part wig, require only a “leave out” to blend your natural hair with the wig when installing. At the same time, the headband wig means putting the wig on your head and styling it for your desired look. On the other hand, a lace wig requires a more detailed installation by a professional stylist for a flawless look.
However, if you have the skill and time, you can install it yourself by following the steps below:
- Prepare your hair
You can do this by braiding, twisting or placing the hair in cornrows to flatten it.
- Lay your edges down with some gel, spray or edge control.
- Use a wig cap or a wig grip band to hold your natural hair in place so the wig can lay on it nicely.
- Now unwrap your wig and put it on your head in line with your natural hairline – at the end of the wig cap or wig grip band. Carefully cut off the ear tabs to ensure a seamless fit. If your wig has adjustable straps and built-in combs, you can use them to keep the wig in place.
- Clean the area where you will be placing the glue with alcohol and apply a skin protectant.
- Use a white eyeliner pencil to mark your forehead at the edge of the wig cap or wig grip band, where you want the lace to lay. This serves as a guide when applying the glue and laying down your wig.
- Apply a Lace Glue to your hairline where you marked with the eyeliner.
- You may use a blow dryer on a cool setting to dry the glue and ensure it is clear before laying down the wig. (You may add three (3) layers of glue – ensuring it dries clear each time before adding more. It also depends on how long you intend to wear the wig). If there is excess glue, you may clean it with a Lace Glue Cleaner or alcohol, be careful not to let it touch where the wig lays.
- After laying down the wig, cut off the excess lace and use a satin scarf or any breathable material to tie down the front of your wig to melt the lace into your skin for at least 30 minutes.
- Untie the scarf from your hairline and style your wig as desired!
- To remove the wig, use a Lace Glue Remover and then a Lace Glue Cleaner to clean your lace.
Now that you know how to choose your wig and install it shop for high-quality, durable 100% human hair (virgin and raw) at your convenience with an exceptional customer experience!
Remember, high-quality wigs deserve great care. Once you have your beautiful wig, you will have to do all you can to keep it looking glamorous!
If you have any great suggestions to help first-time wig purchasers, please let us know in the comments below!
Leave a comment